Touch me not
Dew drops collected on the leaves. They looked like a string of pearls to me. As I looked at the touch me not plant down on the ground near my feet, they invited me to play with them. The child in me accepted the invitation to play gladly and touched the petals of the touch me not plant. Instantaneously they closed their petals like a shy bride hiding under her Saree. The pink flower stood majestically while the rest of the petals all folded away.
This folded petals brought me back to reality. How we fold ourselves like these petals when touched? 'what if I am carrying the virus? What if my family gets affected because of me?' during the day I fight along with hundreds of covid warriors. But during night what if I am actually a carrier and infecting everyone who comes in contact? Will I still be called a warrior?
I turned my back to the' touch me not' plants. And walked straight ahead into the hospital. Will swami uncle still be alive? I hope he's off the ventilator? Will six year old Priya be feeling better today? Will she be able to sing to me again like before when she used to accompany her mother to the hospital. Priya was daughter of nurse working in our hospital and she was declared covid positive a few days back. How safe is our family? Are we turning into some two faced monsters?
To divert my attention from the train of thoughts I started to count the steps to the wards. 16 17 18.... Some patient is counting his breath wondering how many more left. In the corridor there were families waiting patiently for any news of their kith and kin. What should I tell them? The same thing that I have been telling all this while. 'we need time to take the patient off the ventilator.' the bills are sky rocketing and the family is already stressed due to Covid-19 situation.
What is the purpose of this life? To save people's lives, to give false hopes or to act like a shield... Does it truly matter if you know what your purpose is?
Comments
Post a Comment